In today’s post, we will be discussing car insurance for foreigners in USA as well as car insurance for tourist in USA.
The United States attracts a lot of visitors from different part of the world which give rise to car insurance for tourists in USA
It is necessary that any foreign resident who wants to drive in the United States must be registered in their home country and have their foreign license with them in order to drive in the U.S. One of the things common with all visitors in the US is that if they intend to drive a car in the states, they must have some type of car insurance.
The United States attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors every year. Some of them stay for a just a couple of weeks and some for a lot longer. One of the things that all visitors to the US have in common, however, is that if they intend to drive a car in the states, they must have some type of car insurance.
How do you drive in the US with a foreign license?
Any vehicle on the US road system must have insurance. This includes cars on the road that are not owned by Americans. The United States law clearly states that drivers who arrive in the US from a foreign country can drive on US roads as long as they have taken the necessary steps to ensure that their insurance has been extended to cover driving in the USA.
In order to drive legally in the US as a foreign driver, you’ll need to have insurance. Secondly, you also need a license — both in your country of origin as well as what’s known as an International Driving Permit.
Here are a few things you must know to get car insurance for foreigners in USA
- what is International Driving Permit?
- Where can I get an IDP?
- Where can I get insurance?
What’s an IDP?
Where to find an IDP?
Basic requirements for an IDP are as follows:
- You must be at least 18-years-old
- Have a valid driving license in your country of origin
Depending on your country, the exact location of getting your IDP might vary. You should consult your country’s transportation and regulation department. Remember, you cannot apply for an IDP in the U.S as it must be done BEFORE arriving in the U.S. Moreover, you are required to get your IDP issued from the same country where your license is issued.
How to get insurance in the US
You can get insurance from a rental company or from an actual insurance company in US
If you’re on a vacation and using a foreign car, it’s better you get it from a rental company. Getting insurance from an insurance company is for more long-term residents who will generally also purchase a vehicle.
Bear in mind, it’s difficult and expensive for a foreign driver to get insurance. In the U.S, some insurance company will only sell you insurance if you have a U.S license. This is because, as you don’t have a driving record or credit history here, it’s hard for an insurance company to determine what kind of risk you will pose to them — and thus how much to charge you for their services.
While buying a car in the United States without a U.S. driver’s license is easy, getting insurance coverage can be challenging. In many cases, an insurance company requires a state-issued driver’s license before it will issue an insurance policy.
Fortunately for people who want to buy a car for their use while visiting the United States, they can start looking for car insurance coverage before they arrive.
The internet makes it easy to research Top 10 auto insurance companies in USA and shop for coverage online.
The best way to proceed is to start looking at insurance options well in advance of the departure date. The visitor can confirm that a U.S.-based insurance company is willing to extend coverage and how much it will cost.
It’s a good idea to start with the basics when looking for insurance coverage for visitors to the United States.
The visitor will want to check with various insurance companies to see whether they offer this type of coverage first. Then the visitor will need to have an idea about the make and model of vehicle they will be buying so that they can get a quote for coverage.
The insurance company may need to ask a series of questions to learn more about the tourist and his or her plans before making a decision about whether to extend coverage, but the first step in the process is to find an insurer offering this type of policy.
No matter what, it is of extreme importance that the visitor follows all local laws and meets the local insurance requirements of whatever place they intend to travel to. The United States is a great place to visit, but has a vast, complex legal system that is not always forgiving to foreign visitors who do not respect the law.
Canadian and Mexican drivers licenses will be valid to use in the United States, but drivers entering the country that are citizens of other countries might need to have an international driver’s license to drive in the US.
READ ALSO:Best motorcycle insurance companies
Things to note before applying for car insurance for foreigners in USA :
- For drivers entering the country from Canada or Mexico, this is certainly something to take into consideration. If you are from either of these countries, make sure that your existing car insurance coverage will cover you for when you drive over the border.
- Unless you are entering from Canada or Mexico, an international driver’s license might be required and it will need to be applied for and issued in the visitor’s country of origin.
- Contrary to many reports, visitors to the US are NOT required to have a local social security number (SSN) in order to apply for car insurance in America. Just let the insurance company know that you do not have one and it should not be a problem.
- The patrol guards at the border check-points will often time check to make sure that you have valid insurance before entering the country. They will also make sure that you have a valid drivers license.
- For a foreign visitor, taking out a short-term auto insurance policy (under 6 months) can be an expensive endeavor, and it may be more cost effective to take out long-term insurance and then cancel the policy before the end of the visit.
- For visitors entering the country by plane or boat, and not driving their own vehicle over the border (not from Canada or Mexico), you will need to buy auto insurance on your own, as your car insurance coverage back home most likely will not cover you in the US.
Common Required Car Insurance Coverages in the us
- Liability Coverage: Pays the other driver’s medical and car repair expenses if you are at fault in a crash
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage: Covers your own medical and car repair expenses if the other driver is at fault but does not have insurance
- Personal Injury Protection: Pays for your medical treatment after a car crash, regardless of who is responsible