How to Get an Australia Tourist Visa

Australia Tourist visa: This visa stream lets you visit Australia for up to 12 months as a tourist, to go on a cruise or to see family and friends.


There are a variety of visas available to travellers to Australia. The type of visa you should apply for depends on the length of your stay, your passport and the purpose of your visit.

eVisitor (subclass 651)

This is a free visa for multiple visits to Australia for tourism or business purposes for up to three months at a time within a 12-month period. This visa is available to passport holders from a number of European countries and it cannot be extended.

Electronic Travel Authority visa (subclass 601)
This visa allows you to visit Australia as many times as you want, for up to a year, and stay for three months each visit. This visa is available to passport holders from a number of countries and regions, who live outside Australia. There is no visa application charge for an ETA, however a $20 service charge applies for online applications only.

Visitor visa (subclass 600)

The Visitor visa is designed for people who are not eligible for the eVisitor or Electronic Travel Authority visa. This visa allows you to visit Australia, either for tourism or business purposes, for up to three, six or 12 months. Applicants will have to pay a fee to submit their application.

  • Visa required for U.S. citizens?  YesU.S. citizens need to get a visa before going to Australia.
  • Visa required for non-U.S. citizens?  Yes, unless you hold a New Zealand passport.
  • Go to my Australia visa page for information on other types of visas for Australia.

Who Can Apply?

  • Tourists, working holiday, people transiting, visiting family or friends, or visiting for business or an event.
  • Business trip for stays less than 90 days.

How to Apply?

  • Getting a visa for Australia as a U.S. Passport holder is INCREDIBLY simple.  I’ll explain the simple process below:
If You Hold a United States Passport
  • Most U.S. passport holders traveling to Australia for tourism or business purposes for less than 90 days can obtain an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA).
  • In order to applyclick on the button that says “Apply for ETA” in the upper left of this page here
  1. Complete the Online Application.
  2. Enter the passport and travel information for each traveler.
  3. After you submit payment, your application will be processed instantly and linked to your passport number.
  4. That’s it my friend!  Your ETA status will be confirmed by email within a few minutes.

For more information visit the Department of Home Affairs website.


If You DO NOT Hold a United States Passport, follow this : How to Get an Australia Visitor Visa

Who Can Apply?

  • Tourists, working holiday, people transiting, visiting family or friends, or visiting for business or an even


If you are already in Australia and hold a valid Electronic Travel Authority visa (subclass 601) you can extend your stay by applying for another visa, such as a Visitor visa (subclass 600). An eVisitor (subclass 651) cannot be extended.

See the Department of Home Affairs website for details.



To apply for the Australia Visit Visa, applicants must:

  • Show that they have sufficient funds to cover their trip costs for the duration of their visit
  • Have no criminal record and must comply with all Australian laws
  • Meet all health standards and submit medical records as necessary
  • Show valid documentation and invitation letters from sponsors
  • Meet any other requirements asked for
  • Valid passport
  • Recent passport size colored photographs
  • Confirmed return air tickets
  • Trip itinerary
  • Bank statements for the last 6 months
  • Travel insurance
  • Proof of enough funds
  • Invitation letter: If visiting relatives or friends, a letter of invitation from the relative or friend in Australia
  • Hotel booking confirmation



Leave a Comment