How to Get an Australia Student Visa

Ever dreamed of studying in Australia but don’t know how to get an Australia student Visa? read this post carefully ang get all the information you need.


  • If you intend to study in Australia, you must apply for a student visa (which falls under subclass 500).
  • You can be granted a student visa only if you wish to undertake a registered course or part of a registered course on a full-time basis. Note: The course which you are applying should be registered with Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
  • Visa Fees is AUD 560.
  • Visa validity is 5 years (max.) depends on your coursework.
  • A registered course is an education or training course offered by an Australian education provider who is registered with the Australian Government to offer courses to overseas students.

Who Can Apply?

  • People studying or seeking study, training, or skills development in Australia and Education agents and providers

Australia student Visa Requirements

Intent of Stay

You must be able to satisfy that you will stay temporarily in Australia and you will return back once you are done with your studies.

Financial Ability

For Masters and Doctorate Courses
Sponsors must provide evidence of cash assets for the first year tuition fee (as on the letter of offer) and living expenses and access to additional funds (from acceptable sources) to meet the cost of the remainder of study and stay in Australia.

Health (Medical) requirements

Individuals applying to study in Australia must satisfy the health requirements specified in the Migration Regulations. Any family unit members who are included in the visa application are also required to satisfy health requirements. You can find an approved eClinic in your country as they are approved to submit health results electronically (eMedical).

To be covered for health insurance, you will have to pay the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for yourself and any family members traveling with you.Students from Norway and Sweden do not need to obtain OSHC if they are covered by acceptable health insurance schemes from their home countries.

Character Certificate

To enter Australia, you must be of good character. You will have to submit police clearance certificate. More information on requirements are here

English Language Requirements

You might have to provide a proof about your proficiency in English Language, like TOEFL/IELTS score. If you are planning to study English course in Australia then you might have to do more paperwork to show your geniune intent of stay.

Can I work?
You cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia. Once your course has commenced, you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight(2 weeks). When your course is in session and unlimited hours when your course is not in session. Once you graduate you can apply for Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485). Depending on your coursework and category you are applying you may be granted visa.

Common visa conditions

  • you must satisfy attendance and course requirements and maintain a valid enrollment for your course
  • you must not work unless you have been granted permission to do so
  • you must maintain your Overseas Student Health (OSHC) cover while in Australia
  • you must leave Australia before your visa expires, if you stay in Australia with expired visa you may be denied reentry for 3 years.
  • you must remain with the education provider you initially enrolled with for the first six months of your course or, if the course is less than six months, for the duration of your course
  • you must advise your education provider of your residential address within seven days of your arrival in Australia and must inform any changes of address within seven days
  • if you change education provider you must inform your current education provider within seven days of issue of an eCoE

How to Apply?

Follow the steps as instructed on the link to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website

Click here to go to the relevant page on the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website.


Leave a Comment